I compared the differences between Bikini and Figure, and really considered which direction I want to take ... and I still haven't reached a decision. Here's a list of random thoughts, in no particular order:
- I like the physiques and posing of the Figure girls.
- I want to have a Bikini look in the off-season.
- In order to have said Bikini look in the off-season, I need to lose a bunch of muscle.
- I want smaller legs. More specifically, I want smaller thighs. My shorts don't fit around my thighs anymore, thus making me feel like a complete fat ass. Note to self: Shorts were purchased when I was, like, 20. Stupid comparison. Be more realistic, Kari.
- I really don't think I could take myself seriously if I attempted to pose Bikini-style on stage. I'd be up on stage giggling to myself, cuz every time I even attempt to look sexy, I just look goofy. (Maybe that would be appealing to the judges, though??)
- I feel like all my hard work trying to put on muscle over the past 12 years would go down the drain if I try to lose muscle.
- Just because I wanted to do Figure for 6 years doesn't mean I always have to do it. I'd need to diet and train for Bikini too.
- I don't think I could turn pro Figure without resorting to the Dark Side. And that's not a place I want to go. I just don't think I can get hard enough by staying Natural. So I'm resigned to always being slightly softer than many of the other girls.
- I want smaller thighs. I noticed that all the Figure girls' thighs touch. I hate it when my thighs rub together when I walk or stand. *shuddering just thinking about it.
- I'd really have to starve to lose some muscle. I hate starving.
- The new Figure pros are very well-balanced, with just the right amount of muscle and leanness. I want to look like that. All the time. Note to self: Again, be realistic.
- I hate my off-season Figure look. I look like a puffball sometimes.
- My abs looked good yesterday. Maybe being this size isn't so bad.
- My new shirt is really tight. I hate being this size.
- Several Figure pros are switching to Bikini. Maybe it's possible for me too??
- I'm jealous of all the girls who turned Pro at Team U. They totally deserved it, though; they looked awesome!
- I'm 100% positive I wouldn't have placed well at Team U. Not this year, especially cuz my body wasn't responding like we thought it should.
Jackie Hoppe - Figure Overall Winner at Team U
Nicole Nagrani - Bikini Overall Winner at Team U
I know this debate is really getting old ... and I appreciate all the feedback and comments I've received. Thanks so much for sticking with me as I waver back and forth and all over the board. For now, I'm just gonna keep doing my athletic, functional trainings and continue debating which direction I want to take.