Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Wedding Cake Deliciousness

I'd like to begin with an apology for not posting more often the past two weeks. I have the usual excuse of "work has been busy," but it's a bit more than that. I want to write about interesting, relevant issues and topics, but I've been battling some writer's block and laziness, as most of the topics require a bit more research time than I've got lately. Anywho, I've got a list of topics, so I'll be back to posting a couple times a week. Thanks for the kick in the butt, Dani! :)

This past weekend, J and I went to the wedding of one of his best friends. We loaded the dogs into the car and hit the road for Rhode Island on Thursday evening.


Bruno enjoying the road trip

I'd packed all my food for Friday and Monday, planning to eat whatever I wanted to eat on Saturday and Sunday ... except that to me, Road Trip = McDonald's.


So tasty ... I only had one. Honest!

I managed to eat clean foods until we were getting ready for the rehearsal dinner on Friday evening. I munched on some Cheetos while doing my makeup. Since I'd just been on 5 days of zero carb, I knew that I could get away with having a small amount of carbs without looking like a giant puffball.

While on the dinner cruise (cool idea for a rehearsal dinner, huh?!), we visited with the wedding party and made some new friends. I was enjoying a slice of some extremely tasty cheesecake, when one of the girls came up to me and exclaimed in my ear,

"OMG! How can you look like THAT and still eat THAT?!"

I got the same question the next evening at the wedding when I was enthusiastically digging into my second slice of delicious wedding cake.


Layers of frosting and strawberries in each slice. Deliciousness!

It's simple, really. I don't eat THAT every day! I eat it maybe once a week, and the rest of the week, I'm very strict with my food, calories, and portion sizes.

A couple months ago, I was chatting with a girl at the gym, and she mentioned starting a diet. On the first day, she ate food off-plan! Her rationale was, "Well, sticking to it halfass is better than nothing, right?" My response: "Sure, if you want half-ass results!"

The whole secret of being lean is eating clean 99% of the time. The other 1% is a scheduled Treat Meal or Day. My diet requires occasional carb-up meals in order for it to be most effective, so that slice of wedding cake wasn't off-plan for me. I didn't feel the least bit guilty about eating it because I knew I'd be back to my keto diet on Monday (which I was - no McDonald's on the trip home).

This weekend was really fun! We visited with J's family and had a great time at the wedding. Here are a couple more pics from the weekend.

Jerry and me on the dinner cruise boat


Jerry and his friend, Cristina


My new favorite store in Newport, RI. Srsly, this store was MADE for me!


Sunset over the Newport Bridge

5 comments:

  1. All this talk of weddings :) I would imagine fall weddings are becoming increasingly popular.

    Once again, you always say something that I need to hear. Thank you for putting things into perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, if you want half-ass results! - PERFECT response! Love it! That wedding cake was gorgeous and it looks like you had a really fun weekend! And I LOVE sunset pictures and that's a really pretty one that you took. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you had a great time :) I was wondering where you were ;) Missed ya!

    Loved the response....half assed results....that is so true! Im learning that!!! Diet is sooo important!!!

    That cake looked delish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahoo! You're back! Glad I could help get you back in bloggy action. LOVE the response you gave homegirl, and OUCH cuz it hit home with me. hard. I've been a lazy half asser...no, not even, more like a one tenth asser these days. So thank YOU for the kick in the butt right back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post. I also needed the kick in the pants and the half ass response was spot on for me. Seems you seem to bring me around when I need it regularly. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete